Wednesday, July 22, 2015

WIP: A New Applique Project!

This is my new "BOM" I'm creating for myself.
I really wanted another applique wallhanging for our other guest bedroom and this one is perfect for the "cabin/fishing" theme of this bedroom. I ordered this pattern online and it's called: 
We Made It Through Winter by Country Thread/Copyright 1995.

Now, with that said, the book did NOT include any pattern templates. After, reading the book three times, I  finally headed down to our local print shop where I think the owner is always a little humored when I come in with my quilty projects. I knew what size I wanted the quilt to be and using all his little mathmatical tools, finally determined the pattern needed to be enlarged 400% to be the 57"x64"size I wanted. Whew! Got that done and I smiled as I left with him exclaiming in the background: 
"Be sure to show us the quilt when it's finished."
Once I got home, I took the three mammoth pieces and taped them together. I then divided the pattern into BOM sections as you can see above. Ohhhh...and I couldn't wait to dust off  my basket of plaids, checks, and homespuns to start sorting!!
(Jackson looks a little bored huh!?). 

I made notes to self....as once the school year starts again I may no always remember if I'm to trace the pattern on the shiny or dull of the freezer paper? Or, do I iron the pattern to the right or wrong side of  the fabric? I'm covered! Notes taken.

I have my "July" section cut out...
...and will work on preparing the applique pieces for this cabin block above.

So the fact I've missed applique, brings me to question, why do we like our hand stitching so much?
For me, I enjoy using the freezer paper method. It brings out my eight year old self who loved playing with her paper dolls:

Seriously, remember cutting out their clothes? Folding the little flaps over so they'd stay on the doll? Even making your own clothes for them!? Okay, my younger readers, I get you may have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about...hahaha) But, I do think Betsy and Tina would be proud...as when I applique it reminds of these days my younger self use to play with scissors and paper.

And, I do have to admit, Dodie from My Three Sons was my favorite...
probably because I too, was a freckled-face tomboy with crooked pigtails!
Anyhooo, I'm sure looking forward to having something to share at Slow Sunday Stitching  as I continue to share my progress with this applique project and get inspiration and tips from you as well.


26 comments:

  1. This will be a great quilt. Just now I should have had a quilt called We made it through summer. We've had rain all summer, and temperatures as in March. Good weather to stay inside to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to leave myself notes too. I totally forget the details I had previously decided on. That's a big project with no pattern templates. But it will be darling when it's finished. I'm excited to see the weekly Sunday progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! I like the whole post. I played with paper dolls. What a fond memory. I think that kind of play, where you talk for them, move them around to interact with each other increases a child's creativity. Maybe more adults should play with them
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing quilt, Val. I look forward to following along on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great applique project it's so cute and will look great in your room. But I can't believe anyone would put out a book without templates! Yeez! You still have your paper dolls... So sweet. I remember paper dolls and Colorforms. Remember those?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be a great quilt! I look forward to seeing your progress on your BOM plan. I was excited when you said you were getting out your plaids, checks and homespuns! Oh yes! I remember paper dolls. I would play with them sitting on the floor by my Mom while she worked at her sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is going to be a great quilt. Jackson seems to be enjoying your planning process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just super! Going to make sure you keep on track with the BOM plan. I remember paper dolls!! I never played with the dolly dolls, but paper dolls - yes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat solution to the lack of a pattern. I am amazed at how clear that enlargement is. I would have thought the lines would blur. I love the block you're starting with, and I took a peek at the other quilt you did, so now I'm eager to see your progress on this one. And paper dolls!! I loved them. I had no idea they made Dodie dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is going to be a fun project to follow. yes I remember paper dolls but did not play with them much trying to remember what I did play with but struggling though I know I was disappointed that I never had a dolls pram!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new wall hanging looks like a lot of fun. Paper dolls were my favourite thing when I was a wee girl. I was always on the lookout for a new book of them when out shopping with my mum. My Three Sons........now that is a blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun project and I love the way you are tackling it!!! I had magnetic dolls and had great fun changing their dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to say the same as Ruth already did-but what a Fun project to plan and make. thats a great idea having a place to go to enlarge patterns-that's always a problem for me-don't know if we have anything like that though near me

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be amazing! I cannot wait to see your progress! Do I ever remember paper dolls! I totally forgot about My three Sons...blast from the past! I use to have a set of paper dolls one was a handsome doctor, one a young perky nurse and one older nurse. Go figure that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you're all ready Val, the plaids will make this one sing! Since you'll be appliqueing, maybe you could add a little wool or flannel to it too? Good idea to make notes now -- I hate when I'm in the midst of a project (or coming back to it after putting it aside for awhile) and can't remember the initial plan I had when I started!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this pattern! Love what you've done to make it work for you. I had no idea! You have inspired me! Please share your progress on this wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for bringing back childhood memories! Also, I love that you are "creating" your own BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cute project. I like the freezer paper and starch method as well. I did try needleturn with back basting but in the end I decided without a THIRD hand I was not going to master it. I don't like standing around at the ironing board for long...so I am not one to prep everything ahead, but just do a little bit here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a good idea to write notes on the paper Val. I always forget those sorts of details as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is going to be a great quilt! And I too loved to play with paper dolls but I don't know My three Sons? Maybe that didn't hit England!! But what fun they used to be - thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So fun! I think many of the hand stitching tasks I do remind me of crafts I enjoyed as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved paper dolls but I am not so sure about applique. I do love my piecing though. I am looking forward to watching that quilt come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved paper dolls and so did my daughter. That new appliqué quilt will keep you busy for several slow stitching Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Great idea to make notes.

    Paper dolls are still around - my daughter is eight and she has had a few paper dolls - but I don't think they are as well loved and cared for as they once were.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a great pattern. Sometimes it's fun to figure out how to make something on your own.

    Wow paper dolls! My dear daughter never got to play with those. My sister and I spent many happy hours playing and making new clothes for them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It will be fun to watch this one get created.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...